Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A New Project


I've jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon of obsessed fans. I ate up the books and (like any good, true fan of anything) am skeptically awaiting the film.


What's fun about falling hard for a book is that everything is always better in your imagination--more detailed, more emotional, more magical. Not to mention how very differently everyone interprets tone and imagery. No matter what a movie does, it always seems to fall just shy of what you had imagined.


So! In order to document what is in my mind's eye before the film taints our collective imagination, I am going to design all the costumes mentioned in the trilogy and even sew some up. I gulped while typing that line, it's a lot of commitment. As anyone who read the books knows, there are scores of costumes mentioned. And sometimes in great detail. Like greatgreatgreat detail. Seriously. Greatly detailed. They play a big part in the storytelling and are an extension of a specific character.


I know that a certain magazine used an actress' portrayal of Katniss in costume recently for their cover. I'm not sure which magazine but I'm not going to look it up as I'm trying to avoid anything that could alter what I've pictured. That means no fan art, no production stills.


The photo above is of my husband's copies of the books, annotated for the costumes. I've noted 21 costumes in all, a bulk being in The Hunger Games. There are definitely more but these are the most detailed. And for those who are still reading them, or plan on reading them, or just hate reading and are waiting for the film, I will be sure to keep everything behind a jump.


Lots of words just to say: If you like The Hunger Games, check back for costumes.

No comments: