Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reaping Clothes

I've done it! I've drawn up the first three outfits from The Hunger Games! I know, I know--only three?? Well, it took a little more discipline than I first anticipated, but they're still done! So, here they are, the reaping clothes:


Outfit 1: Madge's Reaping Dress
Madge's reaping dress is a bias cut charmeuse slip dress with puff cap sleeves, a sweetheart neckline with gathered underbust, deep back v-neck, ties sewn at sideseam, and an invisible zipper at center back. It's something a little dressier for the mayor's daughter so it's a little impractical, but still not too flashy.

Outfit 2: Prim's Reaping Outfit
Seamless Plaid Pattern: colorburned
I gave Prim a thin wool plaid pleated skirt with front panel buttons, a spandex knit blouse with small ruffles around the entire neckline, non-functioning buttons at center front, and puff sleeves.

When I read about Prim's outfit being held with pins I instantly thought of my own little sister. When she was in the first grade she begged for me to let her borrow my plaid skirt (now, when my sister was seven years old I was fifteen). But she pleaded and I caved. I pinned my skirt to fit her as best I could. Later, at school while she was in front of the class writing on the board, the skirt fell down.
So, that's my little sister, Prim.
Hence the plaid-ness of this outfit.

The blouse is also reminiscent of one I just recently let her borrow as she was going on a date and wanted to step up her dressing game (she's more of a languid dresser these days). Also, she will always be seven in my mind.


Outfit 3: Katniss' Reaping Dress
Katniss' outift is a woven cotton dress with lace trimmed scoop neckline and armholes, cap sleeves, non-functioning center front buttons, topstitched lace at the front, center back button opening, and a half-circle skirt. I wanted to give her something more practical than Madge's reaping dress as this was Katniss' mother's dress from her youth. So I gave Katniss a day dress. It's simple and feminine--something I could see myself running errands in today, but isn't exactly everyday wear in a post-apocalyptic future.


So, there you have it. The reaping clothes. Since I'm going in chronological order, that means the I have three very important outfits next: what I've dubbed "Katniss' Normal Outfit" and Katniss & Peeta's chariot outfits. Those last two will definitely need lots of rereading time.


P.S. I don't know what's with my colors when I upload them onto Blogger. It makes everything lighter. These colors are supposed to be punched up and no amount of correcting and reuploading seems to help. I'll figure it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so talented!!!

Anonymous said...

I am dressing as Madge at the premiere and I have been looking for inspiration! Thanks